Thursday, December 14, 2006

Has N.E.D. Left the Building - Part Two

Sometime in the early part of 2004 during a scheduled checkup it was discovered that I had high levels of calcium in my blood stream (hypercalcemia). This is not good as it suggest that my original cancer cells has matastisized (the spread of cancer from its primary site to other places in the body) In my case it would indicate that cancer cells had spread to my bones.

My Oncologist prescribed infusions of Zometa to reduce the calcium in my blood as this in itself is dangerous, so I'm told. As I remember these were given once a week or so and followed by blood test for liver function (high levels of calcium stress your liver) and calcium levels.

The other process required was a bone biopsy to verify that the lymphoma had in fact spread. These is accomplished by inserting a needle/drill combination into the hipbone and removing a small piece of bone. When I asked as to the amount of pain involved, I was told it was told I would feel pressure and slight discomfort. Yeah right, it was the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. I'm sure there are indentations from my hands in the railings of the table I was laying on. I screamed so loud a couple nurses came rushing to the exam room to see what was happening. I'm not sure if he hit a nerve or the anaesthesia had not taken effect but wow, I'll never forget that day.

The good news is that the results of the biopsy and a bone scan came back negative. The hypercalcemia mysteriously disappeared and within a months time I went from thinking I had just a short amount of time to live to "Dancing with N.E.D."

P.S. Don't sweat a bone scan unless your claustrophobic. They lower a large box very close to your face and move it parallel to your body. It can get a little uncomfortable even tho the sides are open and your not totally enclosed.

0 comments: